The ‘World’s most admired people poll, which was conducted by YouGov for The Times surveyed almost 14,000 people in Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, the US, Australia, Pakistan, Indonesia, India, China, Egypt, Nigeria and Brazil.
Bill Gates, who is the world’s richest person and a major philanthropist known for donating large sums of money to charitable causes, narrowly edged out the American President Barak Obama for the top spot.
Barak Obama came 2nd, the Russian President Vladimir Putin (3rd), Pope Francis (4th) and Indian cricket sensation Sachin Tendulkar claimed the 5th spot on the list.
Some interesting personalities in the list included Chinese President Xi Jinping (6th), The Dalai Lama (13th), American investor Warren Buffet (8th), Stephen Hawking (16th), Queen Elizabeth (17th) and Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie (19th).
Along with Sachin Tendulkar, the list also included other international sportsmen such as Argentinean footballer Lionel Messi (15th), US basketball player Michael Jordon (21st) and Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo (22nd).
Prominent women who made it to the list 30 included the Angelina Jolie (19th), US talk show host Oprah Winfrey (20th), German Chancellor Angela Merkel (26th), former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (27th) and Chinese contemporary folk singer Peng Liyuan (28th).
Malala Yousafzai was eighth on the Pakistan list; however, she did not make it to the overall list of 30.
The top ten most admired persons in the world:
- Bill Gates (Philanthropist and billionaire)
- Barack Obama (President of the United States)
- Vladimir Putin (Russian president)
- Pope Francis (Religious leader of the Catholic Church)
- Sachin Tendulkar (Indian cricketer)
- Xi Jinping (President of China)
- Narendra Modi (Gujarat Chief Minister)
- Warren Buffett (American investor)
- Amitabh Bachchan (Bollywood superstar)
- Abdul Kalam (Former Indian President)